Tuesday 10 October 2017

Family Information Request Blog (from October 2017)





This blog contains all the recent "Family Request Information".  Enquiries and submissions for inclusion here can be sent direct to: Jackie Ramsbottom on her email: jax1956@googlemail.com. Alternatively you can put your request on the blog "Facebook" pages

(Haslingden Old and New cannot accept any responsibility for any of the information contained in the following emails although we will do our best to try and check out the mails prior to listing here)


****************************************

CAN WE HELP CARLY JENNINGS WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION  (13th November 2017)



Hello,  I am trying to find my biological grandfather. He was born in Blackburn. The man I am looking for is called either Alexander/Alex/Alec Hogg he is about 76 years old so was born either late 1930's or early 1940's give or take a few years, I know that he worked in a mill not sure which one, I do not know whether he is still in the area, or even is still alive for that matter, but my searches keep bringing up Haslington County Primary School so i'm wondering if you can post this on your site just on the odd chance someone from that school may remember him,

thank you for your time 


Carly




CAN WE HELP JANE HARRISON WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION (22nd Oct 2017)

But I am hoping you kind people could help me, I am looking for my 4 cousins, they are the children of my uncle Roy Harrison and his wife Edith HC Mason, Roy died in the year 2000, aged 66, I know they divorced and they had between them 4 children 2 sons John and Mark Harrison, and 2 daughters Carol and Susan Harrison, (I am guessing the ladies now could have changed there surname)On records that I have, there youngest child would be around 50 now, and all the births were registered in Haslingden. If anyone can help or knows/knew them, please be in touch or pass my message on to them, they have 4 cousins from Stoke On Trent who have been searching for them for a long time, we are the children of there uncle Jack. any information would be so gratefully received. Xx

CAN WE HELP PLEASE?  (From Samantha Freeman on 10th October 2017

I'm contacting you after coming across your fabulous blog! I just wish I had found it a just a couple of years earlier, when my Gran was still alive. She would have loved looking through all the old images and may have even recognised a few faces! She dies at 93 and could remember way back! 

Its a bit of a long shot that you would be able to assist me in my search but basically I've been working on my family tree for what feels like a gazillion years and have spent a small fortune on subscriptions to online search sites with worldwide access etc, and despite managing to trace many of my maternal family lines back to around the 1730 so far, I can barely confirm anything on my Paternal/grandfathers side. 
I have heard many family stories and memories from my Gran when she was alive, but cannot seem to link anything up.
Basically my family names are Simpson and Young and if I have got the line right, possibly through the Simpson line onto Ashworth and Booth too, but I really cant be sure. Hence my contacting you. 
My great granddad was Thomas George Young Jnr (b1901) He was who was a fish fryer on the Todmorden Road in 1939 and he and his wife Gladys Simpson. They had two sons Donald (My grandfather) b1900 (who was Coldstream Guard) and Billy (who took over the chippy from his Dad). 
Thomas was a well known in the area apparently and a well respected and long standing member of the “Buffs”, (Freemason Lodge in Haslingden). 

Thomas had two brothers Victor (a Merchant seamen (1939-1945) who on leaving the Navy moved to London and spent the rest of his life at sea on the The Queen Mary and The Queen Elizabeth etc as a Purser. He was also gay, so i guess the bright lights of the city beckoned!)
The eldest son was Albert and I cant race him at all.  
Their father was, if I have traced this back correctly, a Northern Irishman (Antrim/Belfast) by the name of Thomas George Young Snr (b1871) and who was, as my Gran described him a staunch "Orange Man". He was married to Mary Ann an Irish lass  family name "Macauley" I think, as the census records show her born  in Co. Fermanagh 1875. The records also show that Thomas Young Snr was a tram conductor in Rawtenstall in 1901 and a stoker at a cotton mill in 1911, living at Elm St and also at Lord St and finally retired, living at No3 Railway Cottages on the Burnley Rd in 1939. 

I would love to try and trace my Great Grandma Gladys Simpson, as I understand she was from a long line of Bacup lasses and would also like to find out a bit more about the Young  family in Bacup.  If there is any family historians or connections you think I could/should make, please let me know!
I pan to make a trip up to Haslingden at some point next year with my children. Let them see their family history first hand!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 
Kindest regards
Samantha Freeman

************************

CAN WE HELP PLEASE (from Alison Boyd on 10th October 2017 

I am contacting you in the hope that you might be able to help finding information about my family,  particularly my father and his parents and grandparents, who all lived in the area.

The  family name is Barlow; my father was a Walter Barlow, born 1926. He lived at 325(?) Manchester Road, which I think is in Acre. I visited Haslingden and recognised the house from my childhood visits.
He attended Stonefold School (?) and  won a  scholarship to the Grammar School at the age of 10. He then went to Sheffield University and moved to Cleveleys, where I was born. he married my mum ( Anne Ireland) in 1952 or 1953 at Haslingden Parish Church.
His father was also Walter; he was the manager of the Co-op I believe, and retired, possibly in the late '50's' after 50 years' service. I remember my Dad telling me that during the war, he would occasionally come home with an extra pat of butter, after cutting customers' rations from the large slab from the dairy. My Dad's mother was Evelyn ( nee Grayden), and I think she ran the Cattle auction cafe, until the early 60' s perhaps.
My Dad's grandfather was also Walter! I have a rosebowl presented to him for 50 year's service at Rising Bridge Co- operative Industrial Society in 1916 ( so I guess he started there in 1866), but can find no information about it.

It was very unfortunate that, after my mum died, my dad destroyed all the photographs/letters etc that my parents had stored; he thought it would make life easier for me when I needed to clear the house. Consequently I have almost nothing from my parents' or my own childhood. As both my parents were only children, there were no siblings to help me either.

I know that it is unlikely that anyone would remember my dad, but if anyone can point me in the right direction to find out a bit more to add to my scant knowledge I would be so grateful.
Even just finding where any of his family is buried would be wonderful. I do know that they are not  at The Parish Church; I have been trying to find records for Haslingden Cemetery (I think there is one ) but have been unsuccessful.
I apologise for the length of this email, and understand if you don't feel that you're able to help. Best Wishes,
Alison Boyd ( nee Barlow)


 ****************************